Thursday, January 29, 2009

Just came across this fantastic film of Bill Mason "WaterWalker". Most of what I learned about canoeing was from a book by Mason called "Path of the Paddle: An illustrated guide to the art of Canoeing" It even has a foreword by Pierre Elliot Trudeau.

I had heard about this National Film Board film by Mason but I had never seen it. So this is fantastic.

What is even better is the soundtrack to this film by Bruce Cockburn.

When I was planning my canoe trip to Grass River I wasn't having much luck recruiting a partner but wasn't sure about going solo. I thought about Mason and Trudeau and how they both loved to canoe solo in the wilderness. So I tried it and loved it.

Now I'm very keen to do it again. I hope to be done my doctoral dissertation this spring so it is time to plan another major canoe trip.

No comments: